Immerse yourself in a unique underwater world with unmatched water clarity and swim between two of the biggest continental plates on the planet!
Your Silfra Diving Day Tour begins when we pick you up from your accommodation in Reykjavík. During the one-hour drive to Thingvellir National Park, your guide will introduce you to the unique geological and cultural history of Silfra and the surrounding Thingvellir area.
Upon arrival at the Silfra fissure, your guide will give you a detailed briefing of the dive site and the most important aspects of dry suit diving. Your guide will then assist you in setting up the dive equipment. We use only high quality BARE and Buddy brand SCUBA equipment and APEX regulators.
Then it’s time to take the plunge and experience diving into Silfra’s pristine, crystal clear water. Filtered over decades by Iceland’s volcanic basaltic rock, you can easily take a sip during your dive; you won’t find purer drinking water.
During your dive you will explore the four main parts of Silfra. You will float through Big Crack, Silfra’s narrowest section, where you can have your ‘Dive Between the Continents’ photo taken. As the fissure widens you will find yourself in the majestic Silfra Hall with the possibility of local geese and ducks paddling overhead. Near to the opening to Thingvallavatn we will enter the Silfra Cathedral; if there are divers ahead you will see the ‘chandelier effect’ of their rising bubbles. Your dive is finished in the endless visibility of Silfra Lagoon.
After this first dive, we will make our way back along a challenging but rewarding 250 meter path with our dive gear and then warm our hands and spirits with hot chocolate and cookies. Don’t hesitate to ask your guide if you need some assistance with your gear.
This tour includes two dives. Each dive will take about 30-40 minutes with a maximum depth of 18 meters. In the winter, however, if the outside temperature drops below 0°C, we conduct only one extended (40-45 minute) dive for the safety and comfort of our divers.
Available: All year
Duration: 6-8 hours from the time of pick up in Reykjavík to the return. If you meet us at Silfra, please expect to be with us for 4-6 hours.
- your SCUBA dive certification card (PADI Open Water or equivalent)
- long underwear
- thick socks
- suitable clothes for the weather of the day
- be at least 150cm tall and weigh at least 45kg and less than 120kg and physically fit
- be at least 18 years of age and under 65 years
- be a certified diver at the level of PADI Open Water or equivalent (bring proof)
- be ready to wear a sometimes tight & constricting dry suit
- not be pregnant
If you have friends or family who are not certified divers but would also like to experience Silfra, they would be very welcome to join the Snorkelling Silfra Day Tour.
- 8:00 / 9:00 / 10:00 / 11:00 / 12:00 / 13:00 / 14:00 / 15:00 / 16:00 /
- 8:00 hours
- Hot tip
- Dress warmly and don't be shy to also put on our warm overalls!
- Free hotel pick up and return in Reykjavik
- 2 guided dives (if temperature drops below 0°C we do only 1 dive)
- all necessary equipment
- hot choclate and cookies in the dive break
- entrance fee of ISK 1.000,- into Silfra
Þingvellir national park.