Viðey Ferry:

All Viðey ferry departures have been suspended until further notice!

Elding ticket office July 13th

Monday, 18th of October 2021

Today we have cancelled our 10:00 and 14:00 Premium Whale tours but will be operating on our lovely vessel Eldey for the 09:00 and 13:00 Classic Whale Watching tours. Make sure to dress appropriately for the tours as it is always colder on sea than on land.


COVID-19: Keep in mind that passengers and crew are asked to ensure their own hygiene and safety at all times. Washing hands thoroughly with soap and using a hand sanitiser is advised. Masks are not mandatory but are recommended in areas where keeping distance from others is not possible.

The seas may be rough, so as always, we have sea sickness tablets available free of charge at our ticket office. Join us by booking online or contact us directly for more information ( / +354 519 5000).



Report from Eldey: Although the sea was a bit rocky today but much better than what the forecast predicted, the animals of Faxaflói did not mind the windy weather. A mere few minutes after we left the harbour, we already saw two to four harbour porpoises that welcomed us into the bay. As we scanned the surface for some bigger cetaceans, we saw hundreds of birds feeding: sea gulls, shearwaters, common guillemots and razorbills. In one of the big flocks of feeding birds, we also spotted three white-beaked dolphins! One of the dolphins was a juvenile, and showed its playful nature by riding the bow of the two whale-watching boats that were admiring it. We were therefore lucky enough to see the beautiful dolphins from up close, sometimes just a few meters from our passengers. We searched a bit further and saw many more seabirds flying by, but unfortunately the three hours also flew by and we had to make our way back to the harbour.


- Miquel Pons



Report from Eldey: The wind picked up a bit this afternoon, but we luckily did not feel too much of the swell onboard. There were still many birds in the bay; some sea gulls were feeding in big flocks, some common guillemots and razorbills were resting at the surface in groups of 3-4, and northern gannets and northern fulmars were flying close to our boat. After around an hour, we spotted something quickly surfacing at a bit of a distance in front of our boat. We waited for around 10 minutes, but it did not come up again – apparently the animal was feeding underwater for a long time. Our crew spotted a blow little bit further out in the bay, but again the animal was going for long dives so it was challenging to see it. Finally, our patience payed off, and we saw that the blow belonged to a humpback whale! The whale surfaced a few times, showing us its blow, dorsal fin, arched back, and finally, the famous tail fin. After another long dive, it came up again, this time even closer to the boat! This humpback whale encounter was definitely worth the wait!

-  Eline van Aalderink