höfnin um morgun

Thursday, 18 November 2021

Today we will be operating on our lovely vessel Eldey for the 09:00 and 13:00 Classic Whale Watching tours. Make sure to dress appropriately for the tours as it is always colder on sea than on land.


COVID-19: Keep in mind that passengers and crew are asked to ensure their own hygiene and safety at all times. Washing hands thoroughly with soap and using a hand sanitiser is advised. Masks are not mandatory but are recommended in areas where keeping distance from others is not possible.

The seas may be rough, so as always, we have sea sickness tablets available free of charge at our ticket office.

Join us by booking online or contact us directly for more information ( / +354 519 5000). 


Report from Eldey: It was dark this morning when we left the harbour with a little bit of rain and a low sky. The wind picked up from yesterday but the swell dropped down so the sailing was pleasant well covered with our overalls. We directly headed to the area where we saw the whales yesterday. At first we did not see anything and we headed more to the south. After a while we saw the blow of a humpback whale. We approached and there was a pair of humpbacks! We had a very nice sightings with beautiful fluke dives. The whale seemed calm, going for 5-6 minutes dives and surfacing again not to far away. After a last sighting of those gracious whales we had to head back to Reykjavik. During the way back we also crossed the path of a minke whale that surfaced a few times on our side. A lovely morning.

- Miquel Pons


Report from Eldey: The bay was full of marine mammals this afternoon. We saw a group of four harbour porpoises a few minutes after we left the harbour, another three harbour porpoises a bit further out into the bay, and then again after about an hour sailing. On the way we also encountered a pod of around 5 white-beaked dolphins. Some of the dolphins came close to the boat and we could enjoy them as they surfed the waves and swam scattered around the boat. After some nice moments with the dolphins, we decided to continue to the area where we had encountered the humpback whales this morning. We spotted a humpback whale´s fluke in the distance and tried to approach it, but when it surfaced again it was even further away from us. Through communication with other whale watchers, we found out that there was another sighting in the direction of Reykjavík, and as we were quite far out we decided to search for that individual. When we arrived, we saw two humpback whales close together. We thought they were the whales from the morning, but we will have to research our photos of their dorsal fins and flukes in order to identify them. Suddenly, we saw another blow and we discovered that there were actually three humpback whales in this area. It was amazing to see the whales so close together and also very close to our boat. When we had decided it was time to leave, one of the humpback whales gave us a spectacular goodbye by lifting its tail fin out of the water, very clearly showing us its unique pattern and impressive fluke. On the way back it rained a lot, but we were all happy inside after having had some incredible encounters. 

- Eline van Aalderink